Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tuesday, 2/26/13

Dear Journal,

I have discovered the secret to keeping the kids from browsing the internet while they're supposed to be doing their typing!

I restructured my grading system for typing such that I give them 10 points each day for typing. I have the online gradebook pulled up on my computer and casually stroll the room, and each time I see someone pull up another website I drop their grade a point. I discussed this with them and they are all very aware that I do it.

The first few days that I implemented it I got a lot of flack.

Firecracker darling pulled out every cute charm he has, imploring me with both hands clutching his little heart to please, please give him his points back.

I told him I hated doing it as much as he did, and that I really wished he wasn't forcing me to.. and then marked him down another point for his little demonstration!

But today I was rewarded, as nearly every student in the class stayed on task, kept on the right website, and just generally got a whole lot done!

Good kids.

I am so privileged to know them!


3 comments:

  1. Dear Terrific Teacher,

    Araya pointed me to your teaching journal just last night. I started reading back through your posts, fascinated. I learned so much from you about looks and smiles and thoughts. I've got to try this on my students and see what happens. ; ) But I wish I could see you do it. I didn't have near as good training as you are getting. There are so many blessings raining down on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has anyone ever told you you have the gift of encouragements?? I feel like I just got a warm, squishy hug just reading this. :)

      Wouldn't you be surprised if you knew that I'm copying some of your amazing mom tactics in my teaching too? :)

      Delete
  2. I agree, Beth! There's a wise mom I think we both know whom I have been watching with interest for several years now. :). And thank you for your entries. I find I am disappointed you only get to do two every week, but I so much enjoy every one you do post!

    ReplyDelete