Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Tuesday, 2/19/13

Dear Journal,

I discovered a beautiful thing today.

This little phrase "Thank you" has so much power in it.

I have been struggling to find the best way to bring everyone's attention back to the front after they have been working on their Scripture Typer at the beginning of class. They don't all finish at first, and it's hard to get them all focused so we can pray and start our lecture.

Silent waiting doesn't work too well partly because it gives them no impetus to finish, and because it makes them awkwardly uncomfortable because, for those moments, it doesn't feel like the teacher is in control.
Yet at the same time I don't want to be harsh with them and call them by name until they quit what they're doing and start paying attention. That doesn't work.

So today, it happened quite by accident that I was standing there in the front of the room, having asked them to wrap up what they were doing and turn their attention to the front. Most gave me a nod and continued typing. This is typical. (The nature of Scripture Typer is that you have to finish the verse you are working on, you can't just quit what you are doing and come back to it.) But today, I noticed my big, quiet boy immediately close out the window and lean back in his chair to give me his full attention.

"Thank you, J-man!" I told him with a warm smile. Immediately, his desk partner looked up, hurriedly brought her work to a close and gave me her full attention too. "And thank you, Cheerful." I smiled at her too.

Quickly scanning the rest of the room, I called out each person who was giving me their attention with a personal "Thank you." The effect was incredible! One girl, sitting between two that I had thanked, looked up in dismay as she realized that she had not been. "Wait, Miss Beth! I was looking! I was looking! I was almost done! I was just finishing up!"

"Thank you, Industrious!" She smiled a shy little smile.

As I looked across the room, I was amazed.
I had everyone's attention, and every face was lighted with a warm, happy smile.

All because of a couple simple "Thank you's."

How easy is that?

4 comments:

  1. Awesome. :D I've discovered with my 2 boys that the phrase "Thank you" is quite powerful, too, but in a different way. When I've asked them to do something and they delay to do it, I say, "Thank you, [their name]," with a smile. They don't know quite what do to with that, so usually they comply immediately. It's awesome! ^_^ It's kinda the same technique that colporteurs use at the close: "We accept cash, check, or credit card. Which do you prefer?" as you click your pen and grab your receipt book. :D Love the psychology. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this little journal! I look forward to reading them every day! Thank you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This gives me so much motivation to do my homework! Thank you! :)

      Delete