Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wednesday, 1/16/13

Dear Journal,

Ms. Wanda is the master of the thought-provoking question. Today she had freshman Bible thinking through how they would feel if they were a firstborn child on the night of the first Passover.

"Have you ever slept with your shoes on, before?"

"So that night you laid down in bed. How quickly do you think you would have gone to sleep?"


"What if you asked your dad, 'Dad? have you put the blood on the doorpost yet?' and he replied, 'no, not yet, it's only 10:00. I'll do it later."

Or, "Dad? did you put the blood on the top AND the sides?" "Well...I put it on the door. Don't worry about where it is. That would be legalistic. God understands my heart."

"How would the father have acted if he loved his son?"

"Is God particular? Does He care if you do things just like he says?"

She finished with a few deeply provoking thoughts about how if we truly love God we will be watching, working and seeking out every requirement that He has given. This is what it means to be ready.

I'm in awe.

I've discovered the trick to getting my seniors to talk! Put them in cooperative learning groups. They talk to each other when they won't talk to me. Today I planned to show MLKjr's I Have a Dream speech and have them look through it to discover how many main points he had as a springboard to my powerpoint on preparing an outline. They got so into it, and they were so engaged in what they were doing that we completely ran out of time and the powerpoint is going to have to wait until Monday's class, but I was so happy to see them actually doing something that I don't care a bit.

Thank you, Spencer Kagan!

No comments:

Post a Comment