Monday, January 14, 2013

Monday 1/14/13

Dear Journal,

I observed Freshman Bible and taught Senior Speech today. This is my second time teaching Senior Speech. The first time I didn't say a word about it because I was rather discouraged about it.
I had been nervous going into the class, and didn't feel prepared at all completely prepared. I only got more nervous throughout the class and I thought it went pretty poorly overall. Ms. Wanda agreed in her cute, little honest way. In debriefing on the way home she turned to me and said, "So Beth, tell me what was your main objective for the class today?"
And yours truly smiled sheepishly and said, "....................to fill all the time."
She laughed and said, "I could tell."

So that was the last class period, and I was anxious to do better. I prepared my lecture better with a clear objective this time and felt MUCH more prepared.

There is something about this class that is just profoundly intimidating. There's only five of them, but the dear kids will. not. talk!! They stare impassively at you. If you ask a thought question there will be awkward silence for several long moments, and then a few more long moments, and thheeeennnn someone will break the silence.

So scary!

Ms. Wanda says they intimidate her too. She loves to ask questions. The almighty question is the backbone and heartbeat of her classes. But this senior class has challenged her a great deal because of their utter vacuity of interaction.

Ah well, the greatest weakness of my teaching is my absolute inability to give a lecture. And what better way to learn how to lecture than to teach a class where the students force you to be the only one talking?

I lectured today.

And then made them practice.

Ms. Wanda said it went well. I thought it did too.

I gave them a quiz over the previous lesson and told them to expect one every day. If they won't talk, they have to take quizzes or I'm going to have no clue if they're even listening to and processing what I'm saying.

I lectured about how to choose a topic and how to know your audience. Then I gave them a chance to practice the steps of selecting a topic and got them thinking about their audience. They did pretty good.

I'm going to find videos of famous speeches and start showing them one or two at the beginning of class to set a standard for them of what good speaking is. With the background some of these kids have I don't think they've had much exposure to fine speaking. They certainly seem to have little desire to learn the skills! Maybe if they hear enough really good speeches it will spark in them the desire to try for themselves.

Maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment