Thursday, January 17, 2013

Thursday, 1/17/10

Dear Journal,

Chewing on the ramifications of this:

God desires us to deal with our children in simplicity. We are liable to forget that children have not had the advantage of the long years of training that older people have had. If the little ones do not act in accordance with our ideas in every respect, we sometimes think that they deserve a scolding. But this will not mend matters. Take them to the Saviour, and tell Him all about it; then believe that His blessing will rest upon them.  {CG 287.1}

I'm coming to see that the most effective tool I have as a teacher is prayer. I am not able to hasten them to maturity, and I am liable to misunderstand their motives and misjudge their behavior, but I can bring them daily before the mercy seat knowing that I can ask in faith for great things for them.

We lost two students today. One was in my speech class. I am surprised at the gut-wrenching sadness I feel to watch him walk away since I scarcely know him.

I long for him to know peace.

I have no idea where he will go or the choices that he will make.

But I can take him to the Saviour and believe that His blessing will rest upon him.

And when class doesn't go so well-- like today-- I'm glad I can take myself to the Saviour, and tell Him all about it and believe that His blessing will rest upon me as well.

What I need to work on:
I'm having a problem with the students being distracted by the internet while they are supposed to be working on their Scripture Typer, while they're working on their assignments, while I'm lecturing... just all the time. I don't know the best strategies to fix this and I need to research.

Ms. Wanda says I should walk around while I lecture. So I'd best learn how to think, talk, look, notice, and correct all at the same time. (Is there an app for that?)

I did reassign the seating that the previous teacher had. The change went over like a lead balloon, but the class was quieter and I was able to access my biggest challenge students much easier.

I don't know the answers. I am disillusioned with myself and my ability to put into practice the strategies and theories I have been taught and that I know work.

But I can take it to Jesus.

3 comments:

  1. Oh dearest Beth! I know student teaching must be quite overwhelming at times, but I'm quite curious as to what was so special about this day 3 years ago? Must have been on your mind while you were posting ;) .... Please don't mind my sometimes overly observant eyes! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh have mercy...lol!!
      Thank you! You just provided an opportunity for a good dose of stress-relieving sheepish giggles! :D

      Delete
    2. All things work together for good! lol ;)

      Delete