Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Dear Journal,

Definitely on the home stretch now. Today was my last class day in Senior Speech. We kinda went out with a bang by putting on a mock trial.

I set up the auditorium as a courtroom and asked Honorable Judge Wanda Sarr to preside. My seniors showed up dressed to the part in suit and tie, and armed with clipboards.

It was a lot of fun, though as I sat in the bailiff's chair watching the hearing unfold, I could tell I hadn't prepared them well enough. I could have made things clearer, given more specific instructions, provided more direction and assistance. But you know? It's ok.

I'm realizing that teaching isn't so much about instinctively knowing up front exactly what is going to work well and what isn't. It's about trying lots of things, throwing out what doesn't work, keeping what does, and refining things that need improvement. I would definitely do a mock trial again with a class (maybe Bible class next year? create some sort of trial requiring a defense of the Sabbath or something??) I know now what ways that I can help students prepare better and I'm impressed at what a learning experience this was for my students even without adequate preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment